Connect with us

World

Putin says Russia’s mobilisation mistakes must be ‘corrected’ | Russia-Ukraine war News

Avatar

Published

on

After widespread criticism and mass arrests, Putin makes his first public admission of mobilization problems.

President Vladimir Putin said “any mistakes” made in a call to step up Russia’s military operation in Ukraine should be corrected, his first public admission that the “partial mobilization“, he announced last week, did not go smoothly.

There were widespread public expressions of dissatisfaction from officials and citizens at the way the mobilization was being handled, including complaints about draft officers sending draft papers to clearly ineligible men.

Thousands of men have fled Russia to avoid military service, which was billed as recruiting individuals with military experience and required specializations, but which often disregarded the individual’s service record, state of health, student status, or even age.

More than 2,400 people also attended arrested at unauthorized anti-war protests in more than 30 cities, according to the organization OVD-Info, and some of them promptly received conscription papers – which the Kremlin says is perfectly legal.

“Many questions arise in the course of this mobilization, and all mistakes must be corrected and prevented in the future,” Putin said.

“I’m thinking, for example, of fathers with many children or people who suffer from chronic illnesses or who are already over military age.”

Russia’s September 21 announcement of its first public mobilization since World War II drew criticism from even official Kremlin supporters, something almost unknown in Russia since it deployed its army to Ukraine seven months ago.

“They make people angry, as if on purpose, as if out of malice. As if they were sent from Kyiv,” Margarita Simonyan, the fiercely pro-Kremlin editor of Russia’s state news channel RT, said on Saturday.

On Monday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov acknowledged some convocations had been made in error and said mistakes are being corrected by regional governors and the defense ministry.

Putin notably refrained from attributing the errors to either the ministry, led by his close ally Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu, or the regional officials tasked with deciding exactly who should receive draft papers.

Shoigu said last week that Moscow plans to recruit only 300,000 workers. The Kremlin later denied a report by the exiled independent newspaper Novaya Gazeta Europe that a secret clause in Putin’s mobilization decree provided for the call-up of one million reservists.

Meanwhile, Russian authorities have opened more military recruiting offices near Russia’s borders in an apparent attempt to intercept some of the military-age men attempting to flee the country overland.

A new military service office has opened at the Ozinki checkpoint in the Saratov region on Russia’s border with Kazakhstan, regional officials said on Thursday. Another recruitment center was to be opened at a crossing point in the Astrakhan region, also on the border with Kazakhstan.

Makeshift Russian conscription offices were set up earlier this week near the Verkhny Lars border crossing into Georgia in southern Russia and near the Torfyanka checkpoint on the Russia-Finland border. Russian officials said they would issue draft notices to any eligible men attempting to leave the country.

World

The U.S. and G7 allies are trying new tactics to cut Russia’s profits : Centre County Report

Avatar

Published

on

The US and its allies will try two new tactics to squeeze Russia’s profits: Europe will ban Russian crude oil imports and the G7 will cap the price of oil Russia sells to other parts of the world.



ARI SHAPIRO, HOST:

Here’s another way the US and its allies are pressuring Russia to end its war in Ukraine — through a plan to siphon much-needed cash from the Kremlin. Critics say the plan may have loopholes, and there’s no guarantee it will work if Russia financed its war on high oil costs for many months. Centre County Report’s Jackie Northam reports.

JACKIE NORTHAM, BYLINE: There are two key policies that will be unveiled on December 5th targeting Russia’s oil revenues. First, the European Union will ban all sea imports of Russian crude oil. A big change, says Ben Cahill of the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

BEN CAHILL: Politicians are trying to largely squeeze the world’s largest oil exporter out of the market. They are trying to cut Russia off from Europe, which has always been one of its top export destinations.

NORTHAM: The second blow is that the US and G-7 allies will put a price cap on the oil that Russia continues to sell to other parts of the world. The price cap plan spearheaded by the US Treasury Department aims to limit Russia’s oil gains but allow some crude oil to flow in the world’s most important market. That’s because there are concerns that new EU oil bans — as well as insurance policies that also come into effect next week — would send oil prices skyrocketing through massive supply cuts, says Arkady Gevorkyan, commodities strategist at Citi Research.

ARKADY GEVORKYAN: We actually estimated that about 1.25 million barrels per day is a potential risk of Russian oil being taken off the market for this reason.

NORTHAM: With global oil consumption at 90 million barrels a day, that’s enough to drive up gas and heating oil prices. The price cap plan will now allow tankers to transport Russian crude if the price paid for it is at or below levels set by the G-7 and other nations. This price is said to be low enough to limit Kremlin profits, high enough to keep Russia producing. But there could be a setback. President Vladimir Putin has stated that he will not sell to any country participating in the price cap. Cahill says Russia has already been looking for customers outside of Europe.

CAHILL: And that really meant sending much larger volumes to India and China, Turkey and a handful of other countries in Asia. But they had to accept lower prices for this.

NORTHAM: Enforcing the price cap will be a challenge. The plan relies heavily on documentation and proof of where the oil on the tanker comes from and how much it costs. Michelle Wiese Bockmann, an analyst at London-based maritime news agency Lloyd’s List, says there is already a lot of illicit oil trading. From ship-to-ship transfers in the middle of the night to forging documents.

MICHELLE WIESE BOCKMANN: It’s very likely that circumvention of sanctions will be a hallmark of what happens after December 5th. There are a willing number of shipowners willing to take the risk and make money.

NORTHAM: The price cap can only apply if the European Union agrees on the cap by Monday. So far, the 27-member EU has not been able to agree on this price. Jackie Northam, Centre County Report News, Washington.

Copyright © 2022 Centre County Report. All rights reserved. Visit our website Terms of Use and Permissions pages at www.Centre County Report.org For more information.

Centre County Report transcripts are prepared by an Centre County Report contractor on a rush schedule. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of Centre County Report programming is the audio recording.

Continue Reading

World

Maduro: Dialogue With Opposition in Venezuela to Continue if Citgo Company is Returned

Avatar

Published

on

https://Centre County Report.com/20221201/maduro-dialogue-with-opposition-in-venezuela-to-continue-if-citgo-company-is-returned-1104917099.html

[email protected] County Report.com

+74956456601

MIA “Rosiya Segodnya”

2022

Sputnik International

[email protected] County Report.com

+74956456601

MIA “Rosiya Segodnya”

news

de_DE

Sputnik International

[email protected] County Report.com

+74956456601

MIA “Rosiya Segodnya”

https://cdnn1.img.Centre County Report.com/img/07e5/06/0c/1083131074_116:0:1501:1039_1920x0_80_0_0_101be04149f3578b75e6ad33dc3cff98.jpg

Sputnik International

[email protected] County Report.com

+74956456601

MIA “Rosiya Segodnya”

Venezuela, US, Opposition, Juan Guaido, Nicolás Maduro

Venezuela, US, Opposition, Juan Guaido, Nicolás Maduro

MEXICO CITY (Sputnik) – Venezuela is demanding the return of the US-based Citgo oil refinery, stressing that it is a “vital” element to continue dialogue with paCentre County Report of the opposition, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said during a news conference.

The refinery had been handed over from Washington to Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido’s team, along with a $4 billion dividend for 2019-2022.

“Citgo is owned by Venezuela and is one of the most impoCentre County Reportant elements to move the talks forward — that Citgo fully return to Venezuela … and that the dividends Citgo paid in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 go to a Venezuelan social investment account.” in full,” Maduro said, commenting on talks between the government and the Venezuelan Unitary Platform that took place recently in Mexico City.

Maduro also took the oppoCentre County Reportunity to tell repoCentre County Reporters that “in the coming days” the Venezuelan authorities would begin talks about future elections, specifically how to create an environment where elections are guaranteed to be “free, transparent and fair.”

On November 26, at talks in Mexico City, the Venezuelan government and opposition signed a second social accord, calling on the United Nations to set up a trust fund to manage the country’s assets, which are held by the US and Europe in the international financial system sanctions are blocked.

The UN Secretary-General, through a statement by his spokesman, expressed his willingness to assist the paCentre County Reporties in implementing the agreement in accordance with UN mandates and relevant powers.

Alfred Nazareth, Venezuela’s vice president of communications, culture and tourism, previously said the deal would free up more than $3 billion. According to Maduro, the total amount of funds blocked in foreign banks totals $24 billion and he hopes to strike new deals soon to release the entire amount.

US-based Citgo Petroleum was considered Venezuela’s most impoCentre County Reportant foreign asset and was owned by the state-owned company PDVSA. After an attempted coup in the South American country in 2019, US authorities seized PDVSA’s company and handed it over to Guaido’s opposition team. Later in 2019, ConocoPhillips claimed Citgo assets.

As a result of US sanctions from 2014 to 2020, Venezuela lost 98.6% of all foreign exchange earnings and payments from state oil and gas company PDVSA to the country’s central bank fell from US$56.609 billion to US$73.4 million between 2014 and 2020. USD per year, or more than 99%.

Continue Reading

World

Treasury complies with court order on releasing Trump taxes

Avatar

Published

on

WASHINGTON-

The Treasury Department said Wednesday it had complied with a court order to make former US President Donald Trump’s tax returns available to a congressional committee.

The Supreme Court last week denied Trump’s request for an order that would have barred the Treasury Department from filing tax returns for Trump and some of his companies to the Democrat-controlled House Ways and Means Committee for six years.

The court unopposed the legal obstacle to disclosure of Trump’s tax returns.

A spokesman for the department said “the Treasury Department complied with last week’s court decision,” but declined to say whether the committee had accessed the documents. The speaker did not want to be named for privacy reasons.

Trump refused to release his tax returns during his 2016 presidential campaign or his four years in the White House.

Following the Supreme Court lawsuit, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal, D-Mass., said in a statement that “since Magna Carta has upheld the principle of oversight and today is no different. This rises above policy and the Committee will now provide the oversight that we have sought for the last three and a half years.”

Trump’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In the dispute over his tax returns, the Treasury Department refused to release the documents during Trump’s presidency. But the Biden administration said federal law is clear that the committee has the right to review any taxpayer’s declaration, including that of the president.

Lower courts agreed that the committee has sweeping powers to collect tax returns, dismissing Trump’s claims that it overstepped its bounds and only wanted the documents so they could be made public.

Chief Justice John Roberts imposed a temporary freeze on Nov. 1 to allow the court to consider legal issues raised by Trump’s attorneys and counterarguments from the administration and the House of Representatives.

A little over three weeks later, the court vacated Robert’s order without comment.

——


Associated Press reporters Mark Sherman and Jill Colvin in New York contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Health3 seconds ago

Know About The Best Fertility Doctor in Hyderabad.

Tech1 min ago

ICA Miami and other museums continue to collect and display NFTs even as the market sinks, arguing digital art has a long history and valuations are unimportant (Farah Nayeri/New York Times)

Tech2 mins ago

Elon Musk Hopes to Test a Brain Implant in Humans Next Year

Tech3 mins ago

Elon Musk claims Neuralink is about ‘six months’ away from first human trial

Tech6 mins ago

Paramount Plus deal has been extended, save 50% on the annual plan

Entertainment22 mins ago

Did Marvel confirm a big leak about Harrison Ford’s character in Thunderbolts?

Entertainment24 mins ago

James Cameron has plans for Avatar 6 and 7

Entertainment25 mins ago

Kyle and Jackie O show cancelled after both hosts call in sick

Entertainment26 mins ago

Camila Cabello Chopped Her Hair Into a Cool-Girl Wolf Cut

Lifestyle29 mins ago

Head to Edmonds for the classic dim sum cart experience and some tasty BBQ

Business33 mins ago

Sam Bankman-Fried on prospect of prison: This isn’t the time and place to think about that

Business34 mins ago

[PIAS] founders explain why they sold 49% of their company to UMG: ‘The battle lines in our industry have been redrawn.’

Business36 mins ago

AZIO Launches Cascade 98 Keyboard, the First Low-Profile Mechanical Keyboard With a Full-Size Number Pad — NOW LIVE on KICKSTARTER

Business37 mins ago

Inflation slows for the first time in 9 months amid CBK rate hikes

Sports39 mins ago

Serbia vs Switzerland Prediction: World Cup | 02.12.2022

Health3 seconds ago

Know About The Best Fertility Doctor in Hyderabad.

Tech1 min ago

ICA Miami and other museums continue to collect and display NFTs even as the market sinks, arguing digital art has a long history and valuations are unimportant (Farah Nayeri/New York Times)

Tech2 mins ago

Elon Musk Hopes to Test a Brain Implant in Humans Next Year

Tech3 mins ago

Elon Musk claims Neuralink is about ‘six months’ away from first human trial

Tech6 mins ago

Paramount Plus deal has been extended, save 50% on the annual plan

Entertainment22 mins ago

Did Marvel confirm a big leak about Harrison Ford’s character in Thunderbolts?

Entertainment24 mins ago

James Cameron has plans for Avatar 6 and 7

Entertainment25 mins ago

Kyle and Jackie O show cancelled after both hosts call in sick

Entertainment26 mins ago

Camila Cabello Chopped Her Hair Into a Cool-Girl Wolf Cut

Lifestyle29 mins ago

Head to Edmonds for the classic dim sum cart experience and some tasty BBQ

Business33 mins ago

Sam Bankman-Fried on prospect of prison: This isn’t the time and place to think about that

Business34 mins ago

[PIAS] founders explain why they sold 49% of their company to UMG: ‘The battle lines in our industry have been redrawn.’

Business36 mins ago

AZIO Launches Cascade 98 Keyboard, the First Low-Profile Mechanical Keyboard With a Full-Size Number Pad — NOW LIVE on KICKSTARTER

Business37 mins ago

Inflation slows for the first time in 9 months amid CBK rate hikes

Sports39 mins ago

Serbia vs Switzerland Prediction: World Cup | 02.12.2022

Health3 seconds ago

Know About The Best Fertility Doctor in Hyderabad.

Tech1 min ago

ICA Miami and other museums continue to collect and display NFTs even as the market sinks, arguing digital art has a long history and valuations are unimportant (Farah Nayeri/New York Times)

Tech2 mins ago

Elon Musk Hopes to Test a Brain Implant in Humans Next Year

Tech3 mins ago

Elon Musk claims Neuralink is about ‘six months’ away from first human trial

Tech6 mins ago

Paramount Plus deal has been extended, save 50% on the annual plan

Entertainment22 mins ago

Did Marvel confirm a big leak about Harrison Ford’s character in Thunderbolts?

Entertainment24 mins ago

James Cameron has plans for Avatar 6 and 7

Entertainment25 mins ago

Kyle and Jackie O show cancelled after both hosts call in sick

Entertainment26 mins ago

Camila Cabello Chopped Her Hair Into a Cool-Girl Wolf Cut

Lifestyle29 mins ago

Head to Edmonds for the classic dim sum cart experience and some tasty BBQ

Business33 mins ago

Sam Bankman-Fried on prospect of prison: This isn’t the time and place to think about that

Business34 mins ago

[PIAS] founders explain why they sold 49% of their company to UMG: ‘The battle lines in our industry have been redrawn.’

Business36 mins ago

AZIO Launches Cascade 98 Keyboard, the First Low-Profile Mechanical Keyboard With a Full-Size Number Pad — NOW LIVE on KICKSTARTER

Business37 mins ago

Inflation slows for the first time in 9 months amid CBK rate hikes

Sports39 mins ago

Serbia vs Switzerland Prediction: World Cup | 02.12.2022

featured